As Promised: More From Coach Grobe at Tuesday's Practice  

On the recent performance of the offensive line (specifically Saturday):

"I thought we got a little better push up front with the offensive line. I think we’re just more consistent; we’re not making as many mistakes. We had too many dumb penalties; that’s something we’ve really got to take care of. I was pleased with the competitiveness of our scrimmage.

Now that we’ve got the weight down on some of these guys I just like the looks of that group. We’ve got the potential to be better up front than we were last year. I know that we lost some veteran guys but I think this might be the most athletic offensive line we’ve had in a long time. We have little more flexibility and a chance to pull people a little bit more and man block a little bit more than we have in the past. Now we’re more athletic and we’ve got the potential to just go one on one with some people up front.

We haven’t had a backup center step up yet. We really need Ryan Britt or Chance Raines to step up. Right now if something happened to Trey Bailey we’d probably have to move Russel Nenon back over to center and I don’t want to do that so I want one of those young centers to come on and step up.

Joe Looney has done some really good stuff. I really like that kid right now and I think with this summer to lift and be here and then an August under his belt that’s a guy who has a chance to help us as a freshman. We’d like to see Boomer Peterson be a guy, and Gage Crewes is another one. One of those two guys I’d like to see step up and be that other guard we’re looking for."

On the goals for the last week of Spring Practice:

"We’re probably going to add a few things here and there just to play with. In the spring we tinker with stuff because we don’t have to play anybody so if it doesn’t work we don’t have to panic about it. I think our emphasis even more now, you’ll probably see fewer reps from the old guys and more reps from the young guys. Just keep trying to get young guys more experience. The only experience they’re going to have when we got to Baylor is what we give them now and in August so we want to make sure to give them as much as possible."

I'm looking forward to this last week of work. I should be able to attend Wednesday and Thursday practices in their entirety and of course Saturday's game. As always, full reports will follow ASAP.


0 comments

Post a Comment