Name the Demon Deacon?  

The voice of the Demon Deacons, Stan Cotten, has suggested giving a name to the Demon Deacon mascot. You can read the full article here, but basically he thinks the Deacon needs a name other than just "the Demon Deacon."

I hadn't ever thought about it or really even noticed it, but Wake does seem somewhat unique in not having a name for the mascot. Just about every other mascot that I can recall off the top of my head does have a name.

I know that a change like this would be somewhat unpopular to our school's community, who seems to balk at just about any change, but I think I would actually support a name for the Demon Deacon.

The options presented by Stan are: Deac, Preacher, Bones, Peahead, Pic (for Brian Piccolo), Arnie, Skip.

I'm running a poll over in the right column (those of you who read the site via RSS or Email are encouraged to come visit the site and vote) to see what everyone thinks about this.

If you have any thoughts, ideas, or a name that isn't one of the given options please leave them in the comments section below! If any additional option gains any steam I'll try to add it to the poll.


Final Results (171 votes):
Deac - 7 (4%)
Preacher - 5 (2%)
Bones - 67 (39%)
Peahead - 2 (1%)
Pic - 3 (1%)
Arnie - 2 (1%)
Skip - 33 (19%)
Shouldn't be named - 52 (30%)

Some of those percentage calculations seem a bit fishy to me, but those are the final results.


4 comments

  • Anonymous  
    5/23/08, 10:11 AM

    Gotta include Ed or Edward after the men who have contributed so much to Wake.
    Ed Christman
    Ed Wilson
    George Edward Prosser

  • Zach Smith  
    5/23/08, 11:12 AM

    Not bad, I was going to say that if someone seconded it I would add it to the poll, but apparently I can't edit the poll after people have voted, which is stupid.

    Apparently you'll have to start an impressive write-in campaign in the comments if you want another option to gain any steam.

  • Anonymous  
    5/23/08, 1:04 PM

    I don't support this idea, I think referring to the mascot as "The Deacon" is fine.

  • Anonymous  
    5/24/08, 7:39 PM

    I was going to go with Egbert, but Ed sounds like Egg or Eggie, so yeah, let's hear it for "Ed".

    (Egbert was a rabid Wake supporter and part of the Davis family who have supported Wake in so many ways through the years.)

Post a Comment