2008 Game 1 Preview: at Baylor  


Ah, Waco. One of our nations most beautiful cities. Home to many important businesses, celebrities of all kinds, and a place where all of your wildest dreams can come true.

On second thought, absolutely none of that is true. However, because it is home to the start of Wake's 2008 football season, come the last week of August no city on earth could get me more excited. There's nothing quite like the beginning of a new football season, and I'm very very excited about the trip I'll be taking to Waco to see this one.

With the game originally schedules for Saturday the 30th, I was hoping we'd be able to get a big crowd of Deacons down there to see the game. With the game being moved to Thursday, August 28 to accommodate FSN's TV schedule, I'm guessing our crowd is going to be a bit less impressive. Nonetheless, the national TV exposure is probably well worth the move and will ultimately be beneficial for Wake.

As for the Bears, I can't imagine we have too much to worry about. Since they've got a new coaching staff coming in it's hard to pinpoint exactly what to expect, but given Baylor's historical lack of talent and the high hopes Wake is riding for this season, I don't foresee an major issues. This is one of those games where the Deacs need to just go in, take care of business, and get out of there without sustaning any injuries.

Some have been talking about Wake's historical issues opening the season in this manner (on TV, on Thursday, etc.) however I don't think we need to put too much stock into these worries. I tend to ignore things like this as I have trouble believing they have any bearing on this particular team. Obviously we need to be wary of overconfidence or anything like that, but ultimately I'm confident the Deacs will take care of business.

Anyone else going to be joining me in Waco? Am I crazy for being so excited? Should I be more worried about some of these potential issues? Let me know.

5 comments

  • Anonymous  
    6/26/08, 10:14 AM

    Good thoughts Zach.

    My only concern is dealing with a new coach who will have a new scheme. I know they are not the team that BC was last year, but if I was concerned about anything it is that.

    I am also a little concerned about it being the openign day of CF, night game. Baylor fans will be fired up. That may only be an issue in the first half though.

    One thing I was thinking about last night. And I don't want to get ahead or off topic. Do you think you could throw in some thoughts on the depth of the O-line and how the first three games could actually really help to develop the 2 deep there. I think the 1st three games will pay dividends in that area.

    BTW, I am trying to plan a business trip to Dallas for that week so I can get to the game.

  • Anonymous  
    6/26/08, 4:39 PM

    I'll be there for the game. I completely agree that the fact that a new head coach with a new team scares me. You have to wonder what he's going to run and how Wake can gameplan for something like that.

  • Dingo J  
    6/27/08, 10:47 AM

    You have to expect Baylor to ome out strong early in the game. Wake will have to adjust to a new scheme that the Baylor coaches will present and it is a home opener for them.

    Wake needs to come out of the first quarter in good shape. Then our depth should wear them done.

  • CCounts  
    7/3/08, 9:47 AM

    I can see Art Briles putting together a decent team in the first season there, but I like the fact that we get to play them in their first game. It will probably take them a game or two to work out the kinks with a new coach in a new system. I think Robert Griffin will emerge as their starter, but it may take a few games before that happens. I like our chances, but only if Wake comes out there prepared.

  • Unknown  
    8/8/08, 5:45 PM

    Ill be at the game but Ill be wearing green with my gold. However, dont expect much from the Bears. They might come out firing on all cylinders but will quickly run out of steam. There will be a plethera of freshmen or what we call the "Baylor Line" that will pack most of the east side. That is only for the first game and will diminish dramatically throughout the season. Waco is the most horrible town in Texas. It was ranked #5 worst place in America to raise a family. Parking is 10 bucks but if you go down a back road behind the stadium you will find many residents will spots for $5 (or park in Autozone for free). Although it is home to important businesses like Dr Pepper and home to George W, its scenery can be breath takingly dull. The Bears talent is not very deep and our O line is pitiful this year. Our defense is pretty stacked and only consists of 2 all americans. Im going only because I paid for half priced season tickets where I work (which is the same as a ticket for WF's home games). Come to Waco and have a good time, but dont expect to be impressed.

Post a Comment