Special Teams, AKA: Sam Swank  

When you think of Wake's Special Teams unit there really is only one name that comes to mind: Sam Swank.

Despite the fact that his 2007 numbers weren't quite as good as those from 2006, Swank is still one of the best kickers in the nation and certainly the best in the ACC. Despite a couple of key misses last season, there's still no other guy I'd like to have lining it up from 52 yards out with only seconds on the clock. I'd love to see him improve his punting average a bit this season, but ultimately he is still an effective enough punter and an outstanding kicker, so I really can't complain.

As far as returning kicks goes, Alphonso Smith is still expected to be the man. His speed and shiftiness is perfect for the job, but I do worry a little bit about letting him do it all the time just because of the possibility of an injury. I don't know how often returners really do get injured, but it seems like a job that lends itself to that type of thing, and it would not make me very happy to lose such a key element of our defense because of a silly returning injury. I think we'll see Y'lou returning some of the kicks and we may even find that he's the perfect man for the job. If he can do it just as effectively as Phonz can then there's no reason for him not to be doing it.


In the case of most schools the special teams preview would probably be done at this point, but for the 2008 Demon Deacons we can't move on quite so quickly. For the last several years Nick Jarvis has done his job perfectly. Thanks to him Wake fans never even need to think about the Long Snapper. With his graduation the job is no longer so secure.

Coach Grobe and his staff spent much of the spring trying to lock down a snapper and it just never got to the point where anyone really nailed down the job. Fourth string QB Ryan McManus initially seemed to be the man for the job, but in several weeks of work he never looked consistent or comfortable. He may very well end up being the guy for the job but at this point that isn't a sure thing. The problem is that that there doesn't seem to be an easy answer to the question at this point. Russell Nenon should be able to take care of business for FG/XP snapping but the rest of the job is still questionable.

As long as that issue gets taken care of by game time on August 28, I have no reason to be concerned with our special teams unit.

Do you think we should be concerned? Let us know in the comments.

4 comments

  • Anonymous  
    6/24/08, 11:26 AM

    Having Phonz return kicks and punts reminds me of Jason Sehorn of the NY Giants. He wanted to return just one kick in an exhibition game. 1st kickoff of the game and his knee got popped, end of season, before it even started. It just scares me

    I do not like it. But I guess we did okay with Moore doing it.

    Long snapper is my biggest concern. I spent some time punting and kicking in college. If you do not trust the snapper (or holder) your timing and everything is off. I trust Grobe and Co. to fill the hole, but will remain nervous until I see a few snaps.

  • Anonymous  
    6/24/08, 12:56 PM

    I wouldn't mind seeing BP get some returns. He returned a few during some of the spring scrimmages, and he's probably the most explosive player we have.

    I am still very worried about the long snapper position. Wake is recruiting three or four kids right now that are good long snappers in high school, but that's not going to help this season. I'd like to see somebody step up and just get the job done.

    Also, Zach, I asked a few questions in the previous thread that I'd like to get your thoughts on. Thanks.

    - Jared

  • Zach Smith  
    6/24/08, 5:35 PM

    burgh- thanks for embracing my desire to get some discussion going and getting things started two days running. Much appreciated!

    Jared- I apologize for not staying as up with things on this trip, hard to find enough time but I've answered your questions now. I wrote posts for every day until Thursday before i left so I'm just putting those up every morning.

    Burgh nailed my concern on the head-I feel like we're playing with fire having Phonz back there. Hopefully it works out again.

    As far as snapper goes, I agree that someone just needs to get the job done. I'm guessing McManus is working his butt off this summer (or at least I hope he is) so hopefully he'll get it done. I'm sure he'd like to get on the field a bit more.

    The other possibility is a new walk on. I thought about walking on to try to snap my freshman year because I did it in high school but ended up not pursuing it because re job was locked up for at least a couple years. Maybe there's someone like that, but I'm guessing Jared might know if there was.

    Right now all we can do is hope for the best.

  • Anonymous  
    6/29/08, 12:36 AM

    don't sleep on ylou returning punts

Post a Comment