Previewing the Defense  

Let's be honest here. The 2008 defense is going to be one of the best defenses Wake Forest has ever put on a football field. When all is said and done I won't be surprised if we can call it the very best.

No opponent is going to be excited about facing this defense. With nine returning starters there is plenty of experience to go around. Matt Robinson is coming back for a 6th year to play defensive end, and 7 other starters are seniors with lots of experience. Everyone knows their roll and based on what they've already accomplished I don't think we need to worry too much about anyone's ability to perform.

D-Line
Matt Robinson, as already mentioned, will be at one end with senior Anthony Davis at the other. If Robinson can get back to his level of play before the knee injuries, or even close to it, he will be a monster and a huge asset. Junior Boo Robinson is the only returning starter at a very deep tackle position. John Russell is expected to be his partner to start the season, but with so much talent behind them lots of guys will be playing lots of snaps. I expect to see good things from sophomore Michael Carter as well as contributions from Ted Randolph, Michael Lockett, and redshirt freshman Dennis Godfrey. This whole unit is deep and talented and will definitely make things difficult for opposing lines. Word on the street is they've even put on some weight. If it's muscle then that will make things even better.

Linebackers
We couldn't ask for a more experienced or talented unit than the one we have here. Three seniors return as starters - Aaron Curry, Stanley Arnoux, and Chantz McClinic. Curry is undeniably the leader of the front seven. No one on the team has more passion or energy on the field. Even in spring practices he brought the same energy level you'd expect a guy to have for an ACC Championship game. He clearly loves playing football no matter the situaiton. He's exactly the kind of guy you wantto lead your defense.

The guys who back these three up are pretty talented as well. Sophomores Matt Woodlief and Hunter Haynes will have a big impact for a few years to come but are definitely ready to provide major contributions right now.

All of these guys know the system, know their assignments, and are definitely ready to go. They're going to be flying to the ball all season long and I expect it to be fun to watch.

Defensive Backfield
The four starters here are another experienced unit, with three seniors and one junior. This is definitely the flashy side of the defense, with Alphonso Smith's ability to make interceptions (and return them for touchdowns almost half the time he does) and the playmaking abilities of Chip Vaughn and Brandon Ghee.

Depth is a bit more of a concern in this unit than it is in some of the others just becuase there isn't as much experience, but the younger players definitely have talent. Guys like sophomore Alex Frye are probably ready to step up now, but I'm excited to see what even younger guys like Josh Bush and Cyhl Quarles will do in the next couple of seasons.

Intangibles
Almost everything you look at with this unit is postivie. There aren't really any weaknesses to speak of and it's almost hard to come up with something to be worried about. Nonetheless, I feel like I've got to say something and there is one little thing that we should probably keep an eye on. Dean Hood's departure for Western Kentucky is the first big coaching loss Wake has sustained in awhile. Brad Lambert should fill in just fine, but nonetheless it's a pretty big change that will take some getting used to. I really don't anticipate any problems, but it was worth mentioning.

That's it from me, so now it's up to you. What do you think about this defensive unit? Who are you most excited to see this season? Any major concerns I forgot to mention? Let me know.

6 comments

  • Anonymous  
    6/23/08, 10:20 AM

    Zack, thank you for these writ-ups. As someone who is fired up for the season to begin, and not having much else to read, because I have already read through the Lindy's and Athlon pubs, this is great.

    One thing I was not looking at that you pointed out, was the lack of depth in the defensive backfield. I am not surea lot of people think about that. I was just assuming we were fine, i guess.

    Should this be a concern? Or are the young guys capable. I didn't get to see them in the spring game.

  • Anonymous  
    6/23/08, 4:21 PM

    I think the depth will be fine in the backfield. You have Alphonzo, Brandon Ghee, Kerry and Channing taking snaps at corner. Between Chip, KP and Frye, we will be okay at safety. Plus if any redshirt freshman set up, we'll be just fine.

  • Zach Smith  
    6/23/08, 6:00 PM

    Thanks Burgh, glad you're enjoying them.

    I agree with Ben that unless things go very wrong we should be okay. Even this spring Major still scared me a bit at corner but in the end I think the depth will be there it just hasnt proved itself yet. I don't gave my roster and notes in front of me right now but I definitely liked some of the redshirt guys this spring so hopefully we'll be fine. Still, I'd like to avoid injuries as much as possible.

  • Anonymous  
    6/23/08, 8:02 PM

    I agree Zach, the defensive secondary is very deep. We have probably the best starting secondary in the ACC (no matter what Athlon says), and we have a bunch of young talent behind them. I guess that's the scary part, that a lot of those guys are young. But Zach I know you saw how impressive Mike Williams was when the ball was in the air this spring.

    I will disagree a little bit and say that Kerry Major showed some impressive signs towards the end of the spring. I remember one practice near the end of the spring session where he made several nice plays in a row. Just a difference in opinion, but I think he's a solid backup.

    Also, Zach, have you heard anything new on Matt Robinson? I know that he wasn't anywehre near 100% during the spring with his knee. We both watched him walk off the field a few times with the trainers. Wake really needs his presence on the line, but I just don't know if he's healthy.

    -Jared

  • Zach Smith  
    6/24/08, 5:22 PM

    I apologize for not answeing questions as quickly as I nomally would like. Being on this youth trip I wasn't expecting to be on has really cut into my time so I really only get to check stuff a couple of times a day and even then only on my phone.

    Jared- I agree about Williams but we may have to agree to disagree on Major for now. I'd love for you to be right, but even though we saw some good plays from him this spring I didn't see that much improvement as a whole. If he proves me wrong I'll certainly applaud him for it though.

    As far as Robinson is concerened, I do remember the instances you mention, however given the fact that he's a sixth year senior who should definitely know what's going on I think they made sure to be very very cautious with him. He probably wasn't 100% yet but I think with the summer he'll be ready to go. He's definitely going to give it
    everything he can no matter what even if he isn't 100% so hopefully he'll be productive.

  • Anonymous  
    6/29/08, 12:57 PM

    Anyone know whatever happened tolinebacker Mike Simmons. He was a top backup going into last season but didn't play I injury maybe?) and I don't even see him on this years roster. Did he quit the team or transfer to another school?

Post a Comment