Game Three at Florida State: A Trip to Tallahassee  


The last couple of years have created an interesting rivalry of sorts between Wake and Florida State. No one would have ever expected me to be able to say that even three years ago, but after a 30-0 shutout in Tallahassee two years ago and an impressive Thursday night victory in Winston last year, the Seminoles definitely don't like the Demon Deacons very much these days.


Last season everyone said there was no way FSU would allow Wake to win again after being embarrassed by the Deacs at home the year before. I had even been less than confident before that game. Thankfully, we were all wrong.

Now I believe it can be done again, and I don't think anyone would argue that Wake doesn't have a pretty good chance in this game. Still, I won't be marking this one down in pen just yet. Pencil, maybe, but definitely not pen.

Wake has the obvious advantage of playing the Noles in their last week of major suspensions stemming from academic issues last fall.

The other major factor going into this game is Wake's bye week the weekend of September 13. Many have said this is a big advantage for the Deacs to have an extra week to prepare. Others have pointed out the fact that both of our bye weeks happen before we've even played five games and that we'll be wishing we had one back later in October or November. I think the bye week before the Thursday night game against Clemson is an obvious necessity, but I'm not so convinced about this bye week.

Hopefully Wake will be rolling with two straight victories, and at this point in the season I'm not too concerned about fatigue. As long as there haven't been any significant injuries, I just don't think this bye week does us a lot of good. I'd rather keep rolling all the way up to the bye before Clemson and have a chance to catch our breath then, rather than having to stop what's been started so early in the season.

All of that aside, Grobe will have the team very well prepared for this trip to Tallahassee, and against an undermanned defense I expect the Deacs to rise to the challenge and come away with victory number three. I don't think it will be 30-0 this time around, but a victory nonetheless.

I'm planning to make the drive down for this one with some friends. Anyone else expecting to make the trip? I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on the bye week before this game: Good place to have it? Bad place? Why?

3-0 and rolling on...

3 comments

  • Anonymous  
    7/2/08, 11:15 AM

    I always get worried when I am overconfident about a game. I do feel confident about this game. I think we are better coached, better team attitude, and then there are the suspensions.

    I hope this overconfidence doesn't come back to bite me. Then again, I am not one of the players or coaches. :)

  • Anonymous  
    7/3/08, 8:44 AM

    Zach, my concern for this one is FSU's defensive line, which is almost always big and fast and almost always good, against a not-so-deep-or-experienced Wake OL. I'd feel better about this game if it were being played in November, when some of the younger 2nd-string OL's will have some more seasoning under them (kind of like howI wish we could have moved the 2007 BC game to November b/c of the Wake secondary).

  • CCounts  
    7/3/08, 10:04 AM

    This one all comes down to execution fellas. If we come in and play our game, they won't have the horses to stop us with all of their suspensions. Team football will beat a bunch of individuals trying to get to the NFL most of the time. I do wish John Tereshinski could get one more shot on Roger Williams. That may have been the best downfield block I have ever seen in my life.

Post a Comment