Maryland: Don't Overlook the Trip to College Park  

Nine days after one of the season's biggest games Wake will head north to visit Maryland. If the Clemson game is the obvious one to have circled, this Maryland game strikes me as the easiest to overlook. I hadn't really had a second thought about this game until I sat down to write about it and realized it isn't much of a gimmie.


I think the outcome of the Clemson game will have some impact on this game, I'm just not quite sure what it will be. If Wake beats Clemson the Deacs will be confident, riding high after the big victory. A loss to Clemson is a bit harder to predict because I'm not yet sure how this team would bounce back from a setback like that. I would like to imagine they'd be extra motivated to get back on the win column, but the possibility exists that they'd still be upset from the loss and not be particularly motivated. I hope we never have to find out which it will be.

I'm sure we all remember Maryland's 2007 trip to Winston-Salem; just when the Deacs season seemed destined for the trash heap, Phonz rescued it with a 100 yard interception return and the Deacs pulled out one of the most impressive comebacks I've ever seen. That makes for back-to-back big wins over Maryland, and I know they'll be looking for revenge.

On offense the Terps return starters at ever position except running back. They hope to make up for the deficiency at that position by putting one of the conference's best offensive lines on the field. If Wake's front four can get the job done against them and Phonz can control Heyward-Bey, the Deacs will be in good shape defensively, but all of that will be easier said than done. Wake will need to try to possess the ball as much as possible to keep the Maryland offense off the field.

Maryland's defense doesn't have any big names returning and will surprise people if they're anything special. Although they actually allowed fewer points per game last season than Wake did, I don't expect to see a whole lot of improvement. With Skinner and our running backs only getting better, I think Maryland will have their hands full.

One final note: the Athlon Sports preview includes an anonymous opposing coach's take on every team. The last comment made about Maryland is "If they get hot, they'll be kind of like Wake Forest the last two years." Don't you love seeing a positive comparison to the Demon Deacons?

1 comments

  • Anonymous  
    7/8/08, 9:58 AM

    As much as this game shouldn't be a trap game, I can see it being one. I hope our boys remember how close we were to losing this game last year. Alphonso really turned our season around with that interception, and I have a feeling it turned Maryland's season around in the other direction as well. I know that Maryland will have this one circled on their calenders.

Post a Comment