Should we worry about the ACC's perception?  

Yesterday Patrick Hite at ACC Nation wrote a column about the ACC's perception throughout the country. For once someone wasn't trying to tear down the ACC or trying to defend it. The column had a very different purpose.

"The conference will never be a consistent threat to win a national title and I’m OK with that," wrote Hite. "Teams should embrace an ACC title and, if things fall into place they may earn a shot at a national championship. If things don’t fall into place, which happens more often than not, the ACC title is still pretty special."

I was caught of guard by this a little bit and had to stop and think about it. Should I just enjoy the ACC schedule and the possibilty of an ACC Championship and not worry about the rest of the nation and what they think?

Hite is absolutely right about how special an ACC Championship is. Wake fans only have to look back two years to remember, and I know that no one really cares that the rest of the country called it a down year in the ACC.

Still, it's frustrating to watch ACC football week-in and week-out and not feel like it gets the credit it deserves. There are a lot of talented teams and just because Florida State and Miami aren't the best schools in the conference right now doesn't mean the conference is awful as a whole.

I think I both agree and disagree with Hite's point at the same time.

I agree that an ACC Championship is special no matter what the conference looks like that year. If you listen to most players and coaches at the begining of the season they aren't talking about how they want to win a National Championship, they're talking about how they want to win the conference.

Ultimately, though, it is impossible for me to not want to come to the ACC's defense becaues I don't think the rest of the nation's criticism of the ACC is fair. All I ever hear is that the ACC can't be good because Miami and FSU aren't good. Why do those schools have to be the best schools in the conference? How long until it isn't a sign of a weak conference to have Wake Forest or Boston College be one of the best teams?

I love ACC football; it's fun to watch, fun to cover, and there is some great talent. If I thought the ACC was significantly worse than the other BCS conferences then criticism from others wouldn't bother me, but because I find the criticisms of the ACC unfair, I can't help but be annoyed by it.

Obviously it wouldn't hurt for the conference to win a few more bowl games, too. But is that all it's going to take? A national title? Even just a BCS win? Let me know what you think.

3 comments

  • furrer4heisman  
    7/30/08, 3:39 PM

    I completely agree. The fanbase of the league can't be complacent about cherishing an ACC title and being OK with being out of the national title picture. If VT doesn't win the MNC this year, I want to see Clemson or Wake or FSU or SOMEBODY from the ACC do it.

  • Anonymous  
    7/31/08, 10:37 AM

    Zach, good column. It does get old hearing that the ACC is no good in football. I'll give you that much. It hurts me more when people say we are slipping in basketball, but I'd still like to see the ACC get respect in football. Maybe UVa. will upset USC? OK, maybe not. But Clemson over Bama and NC State over South Carolina would help in week one.

  • Anonymous  
    8/5/08, 11:57 PM

    Zach, I love ACC football. I have watched since 1988 and before Wake was as good as they are now I loved watching the blue and red of the State-UNC game or a real battle between Clemson and Georgia Tech. Doc Walker and the guys from Jefferson Pilot are sometimes much more enjoyable to me than a big-time ABC Big Ten game. They are just a part of crisp fall Saturday afternoons for me. So there is a place for that in my football life.

    That said, this conference has repeatedly been a let down. The equivalent of Clemson this year has lost winnable games in conference every year and fallen out of the top 10, the conference has shown zero depth in inter-conference matchups with the SEC, Big Ten, and others, and they have never done very well in bowl games.

    It gets old and I really want the league to get some recognition, but they have not earned it at this point. I do not like Clemson very much, but if we are going to win the Atlantic, I would love to see them win the national title and for Wake and others to win New Years Day Bowl Games.

Post a Comment