Community and Soccer: A Slow Wednesday  

There hasn't been much of anything going on in Wake Sports since Saturday's basketball victory, and when that gets combined with two exams and a paper things here at Old Gold & Blog slow down. Hopefully I haven't let anyone down too much.

I don't think I'll be previewing the FSU game until tomorrow morning, but I've got a couple of other quick things to touch on for now.

Those of you who are students or still live in and around Winston may have heard about this, so I suppose this is for the rest of you. Yesterday the school announced plans for a $25 development on Deacon Boulevard next to the Joel and BB&T. Apparently they're looking to develop a village-like layout and atmosphere, and will feature new restaurants, shops and entertainment venues.

Since there is very little actual detail available right now I'm going to guess that I will never see this in my time at Wake, but nonetheless it's an interesting idea and it sounds like something that could really add some life to an otherwise dreary area. The athletic venues are nice, but almost everything else over there isn't.

The school's full press release is available here.

Secondly, I asked the school about Soccer recruiting stuff over the weekend and was told that Soccer doesn't have a big signing day deal like football does, so letters of intent tend to trickle in over a much longer period of time. It sounds like we won't here too much about them until that process is completed, but it also looks like I'll be able to talk with coach Vidovich sometime in the near future and ask him about these guys.

As of right now, here is the best list I can compile:

  • Dan Wenzel - Federal Way, WA - U-17
  • Sean Haglund - Raleigh, NC - CASL
  • Chris Estridge - Indianapolis, IN - Carmel United
  • Luke Norman - Rochester, MI - Vardar
  • Nick Millington - Raleigh, NC - CASL U-17
  • Doug Ryan - Statesville, NC CSC
  • Kyle Adams - GA - Georgia Lightning
  • Jesse Sokolow - McClean, VA - McClean FC
Some of that list came from SoccerMogul.com, the rest from sources on the message boards who are likely to know more about this than I. When I get official word on these things I'll let you know. Also, it appears that Wenzel and Estridge have already enrolled this Spring, which is probably a good thing for their development, much like it is for the football players.

That's about all I got for today. Happy Valentines Day Eve...or something like that.

1 comments

Post a Comment