Major announcement - A new opportunity  

Exactly 13 months today ago I made my first post here on Old Gold & Blog. I noticed a void, as Wake was one of the few BCS conference schools without a dedicated blogger, and decided I'd try my hand at filling it. I feel like I have succeeded in filling that void by most measures, and I've enjoyed it a heck of a lot in the process. I've had some unique and exciting opportunities, met and interacted with a lot of great people, and as much as anything enjoyed serving the Wake Forest community.

When it started I didn't know where things would go and didn't have many expectations. I just started writing my thoughts on Wake sports, and slowly people caught on and apparently enjoyed what I was writing. Soon I found myself with a domain name, a dedicated readership, and even a small stream of revenue through some advertising. Already it had exceeded any expecations I had started with. Since then things have only continued to grow, and I'd like to think I influenced the start of Deacons Direct on the official school website and Dan Collins' blog My Take on Wake.

Old Gold & Blog has become everything I thought it might be and more, and I have you, the readers to thank for that more than anyone else. You guys (and girls) are what make doing this worthwhile, and I've had a wonderful time writing for you, and occasionally even convincing you to leave comments.

I have, however, been presented with a pretty awesome opportunity, and as of today I am officially on staff at DeaconsIllustrated.com. I'm excited for the new opportunites and challenges that lay ahead, and I look forward to watching and participating as the site continues to grow.

Unfortunately, my new role with DeaconsIllustrated.com means Old Gold & Blog can no longer be my highest priority. The bulk of my writing will be done for DeaconsIllustrated.com, and I'll also be spending plenty of time on the forums talking about Wake with other fans. As much as I'd love to keep Old Gold & Blog going the same as ever, there's just no way I have the time or ability to write two different stories about the same events.

I've loved having the opportunity to write in such a personal style, talk about anything and everything I wanted, and interact with all of you in live blogs, comments, and emails. Nonetheless, the opportunity before me is one I couldn't turn down as I think it is a move that makes a lot of sense for me right now.

This is not goodbye, and it's not the absolute end of Old Gold & Blog. I'll continue to to post my ballots for the BlogPoll, and when I feel like I need to get something off my chest about perhaps the ACC or College football/basketball in general I plan to still use this as a place to do that. I may continue to post links to stories I find interesting, and perhaps write stories about the less discussed Wake athletic teams. The future is very much up in the air, but I definitenely cannot promise substantial daily content here anymore.

I invite all of you to come join me at DeaconsIllustrated.com, whether that means just reading the content, posting in the forums, becoming a subscriber, or any combination of the above. We've got a great product, including the best Wake Forest recruiting content, great fans, and plenty of stories and analysis about the current teams. Some of what I write will continue to be free, but some of it will only be available to premium subscribers. I certainly encourage you to check out the free 7 day trial so you can see how great the content is. Big things are happening there and I'd love for you all to come be a part of them with me.

Thanks again for being faithful readers. You all, more than anything else, have made writing about Wake worthwhile, and I certainly wouldn't have been given this new opportunity without you.

As always, go Deacs!

7 comments

  • Anonymous  
    10/27/08, 7:28 AM

    Bests of luck Zack. I have enjoyed reading you here and will now look forward to reading you at your new digs.
    art

  • Anonymous  
    10/27/08, 11:22 AM

    Wow Zach. Congrats on the opportunity, and hopefully it only leads to bigger and better things for you.

    It's been a pleasure having you do this, and I look forward to seeing what you do in the future.

    allan

  • Anonymous  
    10/27/08, 8:16 PM

    Congrats man. You've earned it. Thanks for the hard work over here, look forward to reading your new stuff.

  • Anonymous  
    10/27/08, 10:18 PM

    Good luck Zach. Knew you were headed on for success, but will miss you in the leaving. Hope that the future treats you kindly.

    Peace in Christ.

  • Anonymous  
    10/28/08, 12:19 PM

    Congratulations! We wish you the best.

    Patrick and Q - ACCNation.com

  • Anonymous  
    10/28/08, 8:07 PM

    while you are there, you might want to tell jared that his little footnote about deaconsillustrated should be the "premier" site not the "premiere" site for deacon sports. always bugs me.

    good luck.

  • Marcus  
    10/28/08, 8:24 PM

    Congrats Zach! Well deserved!

Post a Comment