Deacon Saturday  

It should be a fun day in the world of Deacon sports as the basketball team travels to Athens this afternoon for a game against Georgia and the Soccer team has a huge game against Notre Dame in the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament here at Spry.

Georgia comes into this game having just won what must have been a scrimmage against D-II Augusta State, and is 4-1 against D-I opponents. Judging by their stats they aren’t a bad team, shooting 51% from the field and keeping opponents to only 40%, but I don’t know much about them past that. My gut says that we’re a better team and should get a win today, and although I’ll be happy with any win, I’d love to see a double digit win over an SEC opponent. It will be interesting to see whether Harvey or Teague gets the start at shooting guard today, and if Chas starts again after his rough outing at Vanderbilt. Another good performance today will have me thinking we can win out in non-conference play. I don’t know if I’ll be quite as active live-blogging this game as some, but I’ll definitely be commenting here throughout.

On the soccer side of things, tonight’s game against Notre Dame should be a lot of fun. Notre Dame does not rank in the top 30 in either scoring offense or goals against average, however they do have a pretty large number of shutouts (11) indicating to me that they may be the kind of team who’s defense is either very hot or very cold on any given night. They also do not have any individual players in the top 30 of the nation in any statistical category, indicating to me that they’re a side who has to put everything together as a team and cannot count on the individual effort of any one player. In my mind, all indications are that Wake should definitely come out on top in this match. I’ll be at Spry blogging throughout the game, so check in frequently as I try to update at least every five minutes, and of course more often when big things are happening. If you’re in town though, I definitely recommend that you come out tonight as I think it will be a really great evening of soccer out at Spry.

Go Deacs!

0 comments

Post a Comment