Wake Forest vs. Virginia Tech: College Cup/Final Four Preview  

Tonight the Demon Deacons Men's Soccer Team head across the state to take on fellow ACC member Virginia Tech in the semifinals of the 2007 College Cup (Final Four). I had thought I would end up writing a pretty extensive preview, but just when it looked like it wasn't going to happen (exams of course) ESPN came through in the clutch...check it out. Not to be left out, the official Wake website has a recap of the team's hectic day yesterday in Cary which is pretty interesting as well.

Since ESPN took care of the prose, I'll do a little statistical comparison of my own:

Wake leads the nation with 2.63 goals per game, while VT is 5th with 2.32
Wake is third with .52 goals against while VT is 85th at 1.12

Virgina Tech is led by Sophomore Patrick Nyarko, who has 16 goals and 8 assists on the season
Wake has several standouts, including Cody Arnoux (15 goals, 7 assists), Marcus Tracy (8,8), and of course Hollywood (or Brandi) da Luz who has 13 assists and one of the biggest goals ever (overtime vs. Notre Dame last weekend)

Considering what I've seen recently and the numbers above I certainly feel confident about the game, however they played us to a 3-3 tie in the regular season and soccer is a sport where I'm learning you never take anything for granted. Needless to say, I'm hoping we put three in the back of the net in the first half so I can take my Accounting exam stress free. I may try to do a little live blogging in the first half, but I'll be completely MIA in the 2nd, so I'll leave it to you all in the comments section to keep people updated. You may also notice the new poll at the top of the page on the right - please let me know what you think! Let's go get a win and play for a Championship on Sunday!

Go Deacs!

0 comments

Post a Comment