Wake Forest at Virginia Tech: Live Game Thread  

7:50 - Well at least it isn't 30 any more... Wake trails 45-69.

I don't know what else to say about this one. We're getting beat bad (proven by the fact that Bobby Hoekstra's in the game) and don't show any signs of really making up all the necessary ground.

At this point the only thing that could salvage this game is getting to see Jimmy McQuilkin in the game.

14:35
- What a surprsie - Deron Washington and the Hokies continue to kill the Deacs, now growing the lead to 30 at 62-32. The question now is whether or not they'll get to 50.

I don't know what Dino said to the guys at halftime, but it must not have been enough to get them going. I feel like I'm watching the 1st half all over again.

Halftime
- Wake couldn't even keep it under a 20 point deficit to end the half.

Basically Wake played the worst first half they've played all year, and it rivals the second half at BC for worst half of the season. VT deserves credit for playing a great half, but Wake lacked effort and hustle, plus they couldn't shoot a lick.

The question I posed before the game was whether or not Wake would come out firing or if the losing streak and lack of Tournament hopes would make them come out flat. Clearly we all hoped for the former, but all we've gotten is the latter. James has looked almost bored on the floor, and although Teague and Ish showed a couple flashes there wasn't much good to see. The offense was abysmal and the defense wasn't much better.

They always say that if you can be beat by 20 in the first half you can beat them by 20 in the second, but I can't imagine that it actually happens more than once in a blue moon, and I see practically no chance of it happening tonight.

I'll stick it out for the second half, but I don't expect it to be pretty.

3:38
- The slaughter continues, as Wake is now down 42-20. To be fair, VT is playing incredibly well, including shooting 50% from beyond the arc. Wake made a couple of decent offensive plays (Johnson and Skeen, I believe) but VT is out-running, out-hustling, and just flat out out-playing Wake. Ugh.

7:28
- Now Wake trails 13-30. Ish showed a couple of flashes in the lane, but we've seen bad shots from Chas, Harvey, James, and just about anyone you can name. Teague hit a couple of shots, but even in those cases the offense didn't really seem to be doing anything.

I don't even know what can be done to salvage this right now. The team isn't even showing flashes of brilliance or indicating they can do anything to cut into this lead. Baring an incredible outburst from some individual player I'm not sure much will salvage this. I never thought I'd be saying that so early in a game, but I feel terrible about this one.

11:13
- Did you read what I wrote at at the 14:57 mark? Well the score is now 21-9. Other than that, I don't really need to write anything else because I would only end up writing the same thing. I guess I'll add that James Johnson is really frustrating me (lack of hustle, awful shooting, etc.). Now I'm done.

14:57
- Well wasn't that a wonderful start. Wake trails 13-3 only 5 minutes into the game. The offense has been about as abysmal as it could possibly be and the defense hasn't been any better. I could try to offer more substantial analysis, but there isn't much more to say. If you can imagine awful ball movement on offense with terrible shots, and defense that is a similar level of bad, you have the appropriate picture of this game.

I previewed the game earlier here, so I won't say much else about it before the game.

We all know a win here would be great. The question is whether or not the young guys will respond in this situation. We'll see what happens.

Feel free to share your comments and thoughts in the comment section below.

I'll post some of my thoughts throughout the game, particularly at halftime.

0 comments

Post a Comment