What!? No NIT? No CBI? What Happened?  

All along I never wavered about Wake making the NIT. It seemed like a no-brainer. Obviously the struggles down the stretch cost us the chance to have a home game or two, but only a month ago we were taking NCAA Tournament. Now we’re stuck without an NIT bid (and apparently turned down the chance to play in the new CBI).

I don’t know exactly what happened. NITology.com, the only site I know of that projects these things, always had us in their bracket. We were on their bubble-but-probably-in list for the last week or two, but they never seemed to think we wouldn’t get in. They got 30 out of 32 NIT teams correct. We were one of their two misses.

So now we know the importance of playing well down the stretch. Wake collapsed and completely destroyed their chances not only for the NCAA’s but for any post season basketball at all. I am surprised and somewhat disappointed to be “snubbed” by the NIT. Heck, they put Cal in who was 16-15 and 6-12 in conference. It would have been fun to see these guys get at least one more game in a tournament setting. They have been fun to watch all season long and I would have loved to have the opportunity to cheer them on one more time.

I’m intrigued by what may or may not have happened with the CBI. The CBI (College Basketball Invitational) is a brand new 16 team post season invitational that is unique because of its 3-game championship series. They were hoping to compete with the NIT for teams, but it appears that everyone chose to stick with the well-known NIT rather than gamble on an upstart.

In Wake’s case there wasn’t even an option. Without an NIT invitation the CBI was the only thing left. Based on the field the CBI has I have to imagine Wake was invited to play, but turned down the invitation. AD Ron Wellman said a few days ago that he’d much rather play in the NIT, but did not completely rule out the CBI. I guess he did yesterday.

The buzz is that some teams didn’t want to play because the schools hosting games are required to pay $50,000 to do so. I understand how that could be tough for some schools, but Wake could sell $10 tickets (like UVA is) and only 5,000 people would have to show up to cover that cost. Obviously the actual cost would be a bit more than that, but I think a bit more than 5,000 people would show up.

Dan Collins’ article in today’s Winston-Salem Journal includes quotes from Dino about how all the kids have been coming over to the Miller Center wanting to work out and play. He hints that they would have liked the opportunity to keep playing. It makes me wonder why the school wouldn’t give them that opportunity in the CBI.

In the end it won’t be that big of a deal. It appears the CBI is going to struggle and may not last past this year. I’m not saying we should have played because it would provide prestige, but I think we should have taken the opportunity to keep practicing and get a few more games of experience.

What’s done is done. Thankfully spring football is starting soon.

2 comments

  • Anonymous  
    3/19/08, 3:40 PM

    I never thought I'd live long enough to see a Wake fan write or say the following, "Thankfully spring football is starting soon."

    Black has become white. Day is night. Dogs are lying down with cats.

    As for the CBI, I didn't think Virginia should accept a bid, but I could have seen Wake doing so. It might benefit a young team like the Deacons to play (and practice) a few more times.

    With Virginia, Sean Singletary is still the central figure on this team and he'll be gone next year, so I can't see this helping the Cavaliers. And if they would have lost to Richmond, it would have only hurt them.

  • Zach Smith  
    3/19/08, 3:48 PM

    It's true, Patrick. We're a football school now. And I say that about 80% not tongue-in-cheek.

    I can see your point about Virginia not really benefiting from the CBI. I suppose that at this point the only advantage to playing it is to gain experience which isn't exactly UVA's issue.

    Still, though, if Virginia wins the CBI then they probably get talked about a little bit. If they lose in the CBI no one is going to say anything at all. I don't think anyone (nationally at least, maybe a little bit in the ACC) is going to notice much less mention who won or lost the first couple rounds of the CBI.

Post a Comment