Tuesday Practice: Full Pads  

After yesterday's practice I talked about how impressed I've been by the offense. I don't necessarily think I spoke too soon, but today wasn't their day.

Instead it was the defense's turn to shine, but I get the impression that it wasn't so much the defense performing particularly well as it was the offense having some problems. Perhaps it was just a lack of focus for the offense, but receivers dropped way too many balls.

Still, it's good to see the defense have success. Not that anyone should have been worried at this point, but I think it's good for everyone to have some good days early on just to build confidence.

Coach Grobe agreed that it was a good day for the defense. "The defense had a good day today. Yesterday, I thought the offense had the upper hand on the defense. As typically happens, when one side or the other has a good day, the other side gets embarrassed a little bit and comes out and practices better the next day."

Grobe has also mentioned that it's unusual to start doing a lot of special teams work this soon after the start of practices, but once again the team was working on it. Not only did the punt team get some work tonight, but also the field goal unit.

The news on the injury front is not particularly good. Chip Brinkman, who sat out yesterday after being hurt Sunday, will probably be out a couple of weeks with a hamstring injury. It's the type of injury that he could probably return from more quickly, but I'm guessing that they don't want to create a situation where it will nag him for the whole season by bringing him back too early. Still, this is valuable time for a guy like him who is looking to have a big impact this season, and this definitely won't help.

Redshirt freshman tight end Cameron Ford has been injured as well and will likely be out for awhile with an ankle sprain. Also not practicing today were fulback Anthony Williams and tight end J.T. Dixon.

Photo by Bob Hebert

2 comments

  • Anonymous  
    8/5/08, 11:28 PM

    Probably going to leave a bunch of posts. I have been meaning to but I view the blog through viigo and can't comment like I would like.

    Do you have a media access to talk to Coach Grobe or does he do it out of kindness? It is great you get that access.

  • Anonymous  
    8/5/08, 11:44 PM

    I get access to him like the rest of the media. The athletic department has been fairly open to helping me out and it's definitely benefited the blog.

    Thanks for visiting and commenting, DC.

Post a Comment