Wake up call: Mixed bag  

I apologize for having been somewhat worthless this week; I guess I took a cue from the football team and decided to take things a little bit easier. Still, I'll try to get back to doing more than just a Wake up call today or tomorrow.

Blogpoll came out yesterday, and Wake moved up two spots to #18. Despite leaving Wake exactly where they were in my ballot last week, I'm actually third in this week's CK award, I guess because the BC guys both lost. I hope I don't ever end up #1 in the list - the curse is 2/2 this year - but we'll see what happens.

Here's a photo gallery of Jim Grobe's trip to ESPN which I wrote about yesterday. Thanks to Brian, a reader, for pointing out to me that technically Grobe ran the "Gantlet" not the "Gauntlet" at ESPN. According to the Columbia Guide to Standard American English:

A gauntlet is “a heavy glove, often armored” or “a glove with a heavy cuff covering part of the arm.” To throw down the gauntlet is to challenge someone; to pick up the gauntlet is to accept someone’s challenge. A gantlet is “a lane between two lines of people armed with staves or whips, through which someone being punished is forced to run while being clubbed or whipped by the people on either side” (run the gantlet) and, figuratively, “any series of trials and difficulties.” To complicate matters, each is a variant spelling of the other.

Man. That's more grammer/vocabulary/English (or whatever you want to call it) than I can handle this early in the morning. But at least we've got it right now. Thanks, Brian.

With the bye week there isn't really any new MSM news today. Have a good one!

1 comments

  • Brian  
    9/12/08, 4:03 PM

    Zach - nevermind the CKA. It's not a curse if your QB shits the bed.

    You guys will be fine. Your QB is Riley Skinner, not Chris Crane.

Post a Comment